Shopkick: We’ve Driven 33 Million Store Visits (So Far) In 2015

The beacon-based shopping app has doubled its user base to 15 million global consumers and is on track to help generate $800 million to $1 billion in sales for its retailers & brands.

Shopkick’s Cyriac Roeding

After being relatively quiet since being acquired a year ago by mobile geo-marketplace operator SK Planet for $200 million, beacon-powered rewards and in-store deals app platform Shopkick is ticking off a few milestones as it prepares for the crucial fall and holiday shopping seasons.

The five-year-old Redwood City, CA-based tech company has surpassed 15 million app users worldwide; a rep tells GeoMarketing that it has also contributed to 33 million store visits this year alone. This includes more in the first 8 months of 2015 than in the entire previous year, including the 2014 holiday season, the rep added.

But the bigger question is how active and engaged those users are. For the month of July, people who downloaded the Shopkick branded app spent almost two hours per month immersed in its deals and rewards offerings, according to data from Nielsen’s Electronic Mobile Measurement Panel.

With that trajectory in place, Shopkick projects that its “Kicks” — aka, its app-based rewards that users accrue — will help produce $800 million to $1 billion in sales for its retail and brand partners in 2015 — up from $1 billion in the previous four years combined. In all, Shopkick claims to have guided 90 million store visits and 140 million direct product engagements from users scanning its products from among the aisles at stores.

“If you stacked all of the gift cards that users have received from Shopkick, the pile would be 18 Empire State Buildings, or over four miles, high,” company founder and CEO Cyriac Roeding said in a statement, offering to put its latest numbers into perspective. “That’s 15 billion Kicks, or $60 million, that we’ve rewarded to shopkick users just for shopping how they want to shop.”

For Shopkick, which was one of the earliest mobile shopping companies to recognize the immediate potential of beacons over two years ago, the numbers validate the string of big name partnerships it has lined up over the past 15 months. Among the companies to put its faith in Shopkick’s beacon rewards program are Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Kraft, and Pepsi; the company also netted key deals with over two dozen retail partners, including Macy’s, Best Buy, American Eagle, Sports Authority, and JCPenney.

The message to consumers is that Shopkick can save time and money as shoppers look for faster ways to get the products they want in-store.“We are reinventing the shopping experience by transforming a store, into your personalized store,” Roeding said.

Citing unspecified “independent third party studies,” Shopkick says it has proved that 52 percent of all sales driven by its app and beacon program have been “purely incremental — i.e., it wouldn’t have occurred without Shopkick.

Of that incremental spend, 74 percent came from new customers that Shopkick introduced to its partners. Shopkick defines those new shoppers as ones who had not made purchases at a particular store for at least one year. The other 26 percent come from higher loyalty rates from stores’ existing customers, who spent nearly 30 percent more per person — and more often at shopkick partner retail outlets — compared to exactly matched customer control groups that did not use the app.

Overall, Shopkick has installed more than 20,000 “shopBeacons at more than 14,000 large stores. As the proximity marketing space becomes more crowded, Shopkick’s comparative head start appears to be paying off.

About The Author
David Kaplan David Kaplan @davidakaplan

A New York City-based journalist for over 20 years, David Kaplan is managing editor of A former editor and reporter at AdExchanger, paidContent, Adweek and MediaPost.